Friday, July 10, 2009

Recipe: Double Chocolate Chip Peppermint Cookies

This cookie is a nice variation on the classic double chocolate chip.

  • 1/2 cup butter (one stick)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp peppermint
  • 1 cup flower
  • 1/4 cpu unsweatened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. Soften butter and mix with eggs, sugar, peppermint and vanilla
  3. Mix flower, salt, baking soda, and cocoa in a separate bowl
  4. Beat in the dry ingredients
  5. Form balls on a cookie tray and bake for 8-10 minutes. Underbake slightly so the cookies are chewy

Tip: I've found that I'll eat these cookies far quicker than I really should. In order to ration the cookies, I will mix up a double batch, and freeze the balls of dough. Once the dough is frozen, you can place the balls in a ziplock bag. The cookies can be baked from frozen by adding 2 minutes to the baking time and last a few weeks. Cookies can then be baked in small batches. I can't tell any difference between cookies from frozen dough or fresh dough.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stop posting non-mono stuff to the mono blog roll. Sheash! If I wanted recipes, I'd go find a recipe aggregator.

Hal Wilke said...

Thanks for the recipe. I added it to my recipe database. Will give it a try sometime soon. Another way to add the peppermint flavour is crushed candy canes. Also adds a different bit of texture. (Ignore Mr. Anonymous. It's your blog, post whatever you want to post.)

Ben Maurer said...

crushed candy canes might make an interesting decoration -- though given that the cookie is very soft, I don't think the texture would work very well.

Trader joes has dark chocolate covered peppermint oreos and uses the crushed candy canes to decorate it. I'd love to figure out how to replicate this (namely getting the creme in the oreo to have a slight peppermint flavor)

Russ Maurer said...

How 'bout you send some of those cookies to dear old dad, eh?

DOD