Monday, May 22, 2006

Please don't me-too on bugs I blog

On one of the Launchpad bugs I blogged, there have been a few me-too posts saying Yeah, this problem sucks. Let's fix it. Please do not do this. When I blog about a bug, I have two goals. First, it allows people reading my blog to get an idea of what issues are being looked into in the performance front. If you are interested in our progress, you should feel free to subscribe to the bugs. Subscribing can be viewed as a vote for the bug. Second, I'd like to highlight some of the easy wins to the developer community. Commenting on a bug saying I wish you would fix this helps nobody, and increases the time people have to spend on bugzilla. Please don't do it, or else I'll have to stop blogging bugs.

7 comments:

ryan said...

Unfortunately, your request here is likely to stop this problem from happening in the future. Even if all the people who read this entry took your message to heart, there will be plenty who do not and will continue the same behaviours that you don't wish.

What may be more productive for addressing the problem is building in some alternate functionality for people who wish to express those sorts of feelings. Some bug tracking systems have the ability to "vote" for a bug, which is perhaps not the best terminology but it gets the point across from the user that they feel this bug is important to them.

"Voting" for a bug doesn't clog the bug comments up with unhelpful "me too" comments, but also provides information that could even be valuable to developers and distributors looking to know what outstanding bugs are most important to their users.

Regardless of that though, the point is that this would allow the users who are currently posting "me too" to instead express their feelings in a way that does not muddy the information for the people working hard to actually do the bugfixing itself.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Ryan. We have voting in the Mandriva bugzilla system, and it does provide a handy way for a packager to identify bugs that are affecting a large number of people (and are therefore quite important to fix). It's also much quicker to look at a single number 10 than to read 10 "me too" comments :)

adamw - http://www.happyassassin.net

bkor said...

IMO voting only causes people to complain that a bug has xx votes and it still isn't fixed. Voting has no impact at all, so it should be worded differrently.

ryan said...

bkor: I completely agree, which is why I suggested it was bad terminology. Something as simple as a button that says "I'm having this problem too" would be more appropriate, though I'm sure the Gnome HCI people can come up with an even better wording than that to get the point across clearly.

Aaron said...

Don't be so whinney.

anonymouse said...

Me too. I really hate bug spam :)

Don't blog about bugs - you'll get way more crap than good. Be ruthless and keep the free software dictatorship image alive and kicking!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, this problem sucks. Let's fix it.